Sunday, March 13, 2011

Science Keeps Ruining Things

Oh you silly science, where would my life be without? You make TV and video games possible...and probably the internet. All awesome stuff. But you also can ruin some things. Below is a little pictoral I made of stuff that you have ruined, science.

I hope no one cares I took their pictures off the internets to throw it up on my sweet blog!

















How awesome is the windmill on the left? Can't you picture a young Dutch fella behind it with his lady friend, trying to get all touchy/feely with her? Very romantic stuff, right?

But then science got involved, changed the name from windmill to wind turbine (which, admittedly, is a more awesome name), and streamlined the design to harvest wind at a high efficiency so it can be used as an alternative energy source. Boring...
















Ah, pie. Who doesn't like a good old fashioned pie? It's tasty. Some are filled with meat (my favorite stuff to eat)... and who can forget the Bugs Bunny cartoon, Slick Hare, where he repeatedly throws a pie in to Elmer Fudd's face? Classic comedy.

Then what happens? Some math nerd decides -"Hey, we need to learn more about circles. Let's make up a number that never ends and call it Pi. Nerds will probably hold competitions to see who can cite it to the most decimal places."

Awww man, can't pie just be something we eat or throw in to someone's face?











Science is responsible for breast implants and this...well this here is a pretty poor example of science ruining stuff....so we're moving on...



















Heaven!Pretty much everyone I know wants to end up in Heaven after they die. Of course my heaven will be more awesome than this artist's rendition, what with all the 80s dance parties and body shots that will be going on. And my Heaven will have a lot more pools than lakes, rivers, seas, oceans, straits, gulfs, lochs, ponds, steams, creeks, and moats. I would, however, like to hang out with lions and tigers without fear of being mauled. And the idea of a Creator and a Heaven seen pretty legit. It makes me think that maybe those 3 hours of community service I've done during my life may pay dividends when I meet the big guy in the sky.


Then along come Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodindow with their book, The Grand Design, where they state because of the laws of physics, like gravity, there is no need for a God/Creator to get the universe started. Thanks Johnny Science and LeoNERD. What's next? Spilling the beans about Santa to a 5 yr old while she's on the train during the holiday season with her parents? Well I've done that, and let me tell you - it's not a good feeling.

Ugh, I'll never get those 3 hours of community service back...










****So this post came to me during a quality drinking and gambling binge while in Atlantic City. And it seemed pretty funny at the time, especially the part about Pi. But that sincerely maybe the worst part about this post...even worst than saying how science ruined windmills...

No comments:

Post a Comment